Not so long ago, my blogging friend Hollie published 'My Blog Is At A Crossroads', a post in which she said, she would like to start working with brands and write reviews to mix up her blog which is currently focused on fantasy football and life inspired posts. In her piece she asked for some guidance and advice on how to give her blog a new direction.
Her post made me think, as I share a similar position, but I’m facing the opposite of the problem: I feel I should write up more life inspired posts than product reviews and brand collaborations to give my blog more personality and a twist.
It’s not that I haven’t tried to post opinion pieces or life experience before, but let’s put it this way, these articles weren't picked up so well and as a result I thought I should stick with reviews, collaborations and general blogging topics.
Hollie's post really made me think and so I sat down one afternoon, done some brainstorming and collected ideas for topics I could write about and share with the entire world. To get some inspiration I read other blogs, too. After hours of reading about 'What I Got For Christmas', some messed up breakfast cereals in a bowl and rants I came to the conclusion that there are a few topics which I find very personal and too intense to ever share them on my blog. These include:
1. Personal Crisis, e.g. loss of job, relationship/family issues - It's good to open up and talk about problems, but I find the internet the wrong place to do so.
2. Breakfast Posts - When you google 'quality content for blogs' and your first hit is the mushy breakfast post from a 13 year old blogger.
3. Rants - I follow a blogger who does this all the time. A rant about the job, a rant about clients, a rant about other bloggers, a rant about anything in this world. The general tone of all the posts is very aggressive, pessimistic and extremely depressing. It is ok to moan about things now and again, but so much negativity makes me actually uncomfortable and I find it very unprofessional.
4. Job Hunting Advice - I find it depressing enough to write and deal with applications, so I honestly don't want to talk about them in my leisure time and waste even more energy than I have to.
5. Opinions on other bloggers or political debates e.g. Zoella debate, housing crisis in the UK - Again, some topics are a bit sensitive and people can have extreme opinions and views which can loose control so quickly and end up in shit storms, rants and tears.
6. Personal Health - Again a very sensitive topic in my opinion which I wouldn't feature on my blog. It is too extreme and intense and I'm not the person to share my medical conditions with the entire world.
Most of these topics I associate with negativity which I don't want to write about on my blog. Sadness, pressure and provocation are around me all day so I need distraction and my blog reminds me of the good and happy things in life. I believe that certain topics do not belong on social media nor have to be shared and discussed on a blog, but this is my personal view. Some topics are just very, very personal which are intense and create an awkward situation even when I share them with friends. As much as I love blogging and like to take you with me to events and tell you what my fav beauty product is, I think there needs to be a line somewhere. Not every little thing about my life needs to be exposed on the internet.
First, you'll never know who reads your blog, there are so many weirdos and spammers out there. Secondly, I don't want potential employers/PR/brands/clients see all my negativity and judge me on it. Seriously if I would do so, I could say Bye Bye to my career as an aspiring correspondent.
Lastly, I hope I haven't offended anyone with my honesty. If you like to share any of the above and you open up to the world than that's fine by me and I will respect and tolerate your views. I admire people for their confidence and courage to share some of their emotional and intense stories, I've just decided for myself and for the purpose of my blog, that this isn't for me.
Thank you so much for reading today's post. Let me know what you think about sensitive topics and how you would deal with them. Are there any topics you would never talk about on your blog? Is there a story you would love to shout out about? I'm looking forward to your comments!
Till next time,
xx CAZ xx